Thursday, April 1, 2010

Heriloom Seeds! Heirloom Seeds!


Thanks to a great friend I am embarking on the quest for heirloom edibles. Not much to choose from in any of my local nurseries, boo hoo! Why heirloom? Better quality! Stronger plants! They WILL germinate and produce seeds with little attention, unlike new hybridized varieties that are weaker and less inclined to do very much after the first small crop. So, I am very excited! I tapped into Granny's Heirloom Seeds (grannysheirloomseeds.com) and purchased: cantaloupe, watermelon, summer squash, butternut squash, pie pumpkins, and baby red bell peppers. I also picked up a package of heirloom lemon thyme to act as a cover crop for my raised veggie garden. I am so beyond excited to get this going! The earth under my fingernails, the grit on my palms, the sweat on my brow...ah the sweet relief of a day well spent toiling in my soil.

No comments: